Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Nosebleed

I don't even touch his nose before it starts gushing.  I'd looked in his ears, an invasion that any four year old knows is worthy of the most potent vocal rage he can summon.  His tearful howl literally burst a vessel in his nostril, the sudden surge of pressure and agitation proving too much for a vessel that had assuredly been picked clean by his questing tiny fingers.  

The blood pours out in gushes that seem literally unimaginable for a child this tiny.  It sprays onto the ground in sartorial geysers, staining his pale freckled face with ghoulish warpaint. He stops bawling for a second, confused momentarily by this painless wet.  The blood slows down, the decreased pressure drawing the flow back to a trickle.  But he knows blood is bad. So he does the worst thing, he bawls more, ramping up the gusher in his sinuses once more.  Blood is pooling on the floor, a sticky mess of coagulation and snot running through corrugations in the tile.  

I sit there momentarily frozen, astonished by the sheer volume, stunned by the ultrasonic scream of a confused (but not wounded) child.  He grabs his mother, spreading gore across her shirt.  I hand her a paper towel for his nose, and think about what to do.  Tilting your head back is wrong, they say.  You just swallow blood, it doesn't actually stop the bleed.   I'd been told you use a tampon to stop nosebleeds.  I ask the nurses, but none of the available feminine hygiene products will fit up his nasal passage.   I tell her to tilt his head forwards, to put pressure on the outside of the nose.  I tell her to hold this position for ten minutes.

Those ten minutes are long for me.  He had come in for frequent nosebleeds.  Nosebleeds in kids can be nothing. But not always.   My mind stutters out fears like acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a possible death sentence for this friendly, albeit vocal, little man.   The bleed has to stop in 10 minutes.  Longer, and it begins to get worrying.  Shorter, and we can chalk it up to a youthful obsession with boogers.   A terrible fantasy sequence rolls out in my head, the guilt of possibly diagnosing this child with leukemia crushing, the idea of this mother losing her boy...but no, its just a nosebleed.  Its almost certainly just a nosebleed.  Right?

I look at the clock, begging for the right answer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment